These smashed potatoes are a classic twist on a baked potato. With crispy outside and melty creamy on the inside, they go great with any dish and we dare you to try to stop at just a few.
- 2 pounds small red or yellow potatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more for the pans
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and generously coat 2 baking sheets with olive oil.
- Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft and fork-tender, approx. 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Place each potato onto the oiled baking sheet and use the back of a glass or measuring cup to smash them down until they’re about ¼-inch thick. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Roast for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp around the edges, rotating the pans halfway.
- Season to taste with more salt, and sprinkles of Parmesan, if desired.